Good and bad practices from increasing the automation of road operators' ITS - Lessons learned
This report focusses on the lesson learned from existing automated ITS deployments; provides useful reference materials, proposes a framework and guidance for future road operators’ automated ITS.
The report includes:
- Examples of existing ITS automation operations
- A summary of the recognised benefits of increasing automation and increasing efficiency of traffic management centre operations, with introductory scenarios
- Proposals for levels of automation from the traffic management centre and transport operators’ points of view, similar to the automated driving SAE levels
- Discussion on level of automation required to achieve benefits for various elements of traffic management and traveller information services ITS; working towards “optimal automation”
- Suggestions for deployment and operational KPIs for ITS automation to identify concrete references that can be used to assess the impact of automation
This is the third deliverable of Task 4 - Autonomic road side ITS systems / Automation of road.
Download the report here.